Friday, April 10, 2009

Getting Even


So my mind has been blank, totally devoid of interesting posts ever since Derek posted his sweet Spanish love note and that terrible picture of me. What a lousy time to go dry! Just when I need to see something else at the top of the blog.

Then he posted on his BRAND NEW blog "Bicicletaphilia." It all began with bikes you know. Back in Provo, Derek walked me to my next class from the JKHB to the Benson Bldg. even though his bike was parked at the library. He'd walk me home to Chatham Town, walking that pretty lime DBR bike beside him. He was selling a bike to buy me a ring, but it was stolen first and the insurance money went to my diamond. In his very first email to me, he told me I was better than bikes. And it's a good thing, too! By the time we were married, Derek didn't have a bike at all. Let me tell you, the meaning of that sacrifice increases with the years as I understand this man's LOVE of the bicicleta. I can tell you all the parts on road bikes and mountain bikes, which ones are expensive, necessary, and yes - even sexy. And he'd given it all up for me when I was just a 20 year old undergrad, reading advanced literary theory in the hall of the JKHB and luring him away from Tuesday devotionals.

5 comments:

Christine said...

Wow-- that's awesome! Sacrifice is a sign of true love. What a catch!

And, for the record, I think that picture of you is great-- you are beautiful!

Leslie said...

I love how it all began with bikes! And I love that you know so much about Derek's obsession. What a good wife you are.

jhoopes said...

I am impressed! You know he loves you with that kind of history. :) Great bike blog--I will have to show Steve.

Zappe Family said...

I'm truly impressed with the sacrifice he made! And...you lured him away from devotionals?? That explains a lot! :) He needs to get Aaron to go biking with him soon!

ANGELA said...

You guys are too cute together! I love you picture on the previous post and I had to laugh about the banana runts because I do the exact same thing!