
Have you heard? It's "Turn Off Week 2009." I heard the most fascinating radio conversation today on KUOW regarding this concept. The host was talking with a director of the Center for Screen-time Awareness (yes, it's ironic, but they have a website!) and taking calls from people in our area. The hope is that America will unplug itself and go outside, talk to people, take a break from the screen (internet, gaming, TV, the whole nine yards). The feedback was positively mind-boggling. There were MANY callers convinced that there is no need to take a break from screen time. One man talked about how it enriches his social network and it's a bunch of bunk that we are living vicariously through the internet rather than experiencing real life. Others called in and said that being online is absolutely creative, it's not a subsitute for real art at all. A bunch of angry, defensive internet junkies if you ask me... :)
And since you asked, I'll tell you MORE of what I think. I joined facebook last week finally. I'd been putting it off because I thought I was too old, not interested in keeping in touch with everyone I'd ever had a high school science class with and that I was already wasting too much time online. Those are all still true. But on a whim, I decided to take the plunge. And it's fun - I like being connected in a different way to friends far away and family, too.
But it's not the same.
Chatting online, visiting each other's blogs is all really fun. I love it! I love writing on this blog, getting comments and seeing pictures of all of you and your families. It's great journaling, too. But at the same time, I keep thinking about twitter and facebook and blogger and cell phones and texting and email and wonder if we aren't losing something by communicating casually. Are we letting it replace actual personal relationships? I hope not. I personally vow to use the phone more, to invite friends over more in real life.
And it's all addicting! You can apply almost everything Elder Hales says about our addictions to spending money to screen time. Pretty sobering. How hard is it to walk away from unread emails? How much time passes before I snap out of it and realize I've wasted all of my precious naptime online?
The really tricky part is that you can't just turn it all off forever (that's not what this week is all about, by the way) because there is a really important place in our lives for email and the internet. If I really didn't check my email for a week, I'd probably miss some crucial stuff and not just who commented on my wall on facebook.
So what do YOU think? Do you think I'm crazy? Do you think we have too much screen time? Or do the benefits compensate for the time we spend plugged in?
Here's my plan - a whole week sounds hard and a bit impractical to me. I'm looking for more of a lasting change. I'm going to experiment with one day a week to prove to myself that I'm still in control of my screen time. I think I'll pick Wednesday - no reason in particular, just because it's in the middle of the week. No internet all day. I don't watch TV or play video games, so the internet is my only habit of consequence. If you really need me, you can try the phone or dropping by - the good ol' fashion way.
13 comments:
I LOVE this post. My son actually brought this up in family council last night. He even said that the world would be so much better if we didn't turn things on for awhile. Sometimes my 11 year old teaches me so much!
Hey, I love the idea. It's not as hard as you think. Sometimes I still miss not having the internet.
I totally understand what you mean. I try to limit myself to checking blogs and doing online stuff only once a day, and THAT'S hard. It's ridiculous. However, there have been times when I haven't been able to check email/blogs/etc. for a couple days in a row, and to my surprise, the world did not dissolve into chaos. I'm all for a little more unplugged time.
Obviously I'm not doing this, since I'm reading and commenting on your blog...but it IS a good idea, why is it so hard though?! That Natural Man is pretty tricky sometimes!
I'm a drop-in type myself. I'm glad you dropped in on our messy not so restful Sunday.
I've REFUSED to sign up for facebook..I am just now learning how to control my blogging instead of letting it control me...maybe in a few years I will have the discipline to add facebook.
I have done that with so many naptimes as well. I rarely (almost never) turn on the computer when the kids are awake. But then often I plan on reading a book or something during naptime, but I turn on the computer for a "few minutes" first, and that turns into the entire naptime sometimes. Then I'm mad at myself. I think Facebook, blogs, emails, etc. are such a nice way to keep in touch with people. But I think we do need to, like you said, place even more emphasis on building relationships with people around us in our wards and neighborhoods.
The Danes are sooo good at that and Don and I want it to be something we take with us. They get together very often for dinners. They invite families over and eat and just talk--for 5-6 hours usually. They don't watch movies or play games, they just talk with each other. It's really great.
It's all about balance really. There is no possible way that I could stay in touch and up to date with so many family members like I do now via blog and facebook! That's not even to mention the friends I can still be in touch with. I don't do phone calls well and there are just too many cousins and aunts and uncles and in-laws and families spread across the country for me to even fathom talking to! I haven't seen you or derek or your family since the days of sarah circle- but I am so glad that I can see your kids grow! I love that I can catch up with younger cousins via facebook that I never even got to know very well growing up. The internet SAVES me being way out in toledo land!
I figure if I can still fulfill my responsibilities to myself/family/church/community then I can be an internet junkie for a little bit each day :)
Please keep blogging and taking pictures of your kids and telling us your crazy thoughts! I really enjoy it.
Since I'm here on the internet instead of practicing the piano piece I'm suppose to play at church on Sunday, I admit I'm addicted (especially when I have other things to do). But I really think we should get out more. A couple years ago (and I think it's probably worse now) when I was walking on BYU campus, I decided cell phones are actually almost de-humanizing because NO ONE was paying any attention to the people around them--only to the people on the other end of the phone. It's sad. I'm sure a lot of people there could have used a smile from someone walking past them, but they were all too busy.
I think it can get in the way of real relationships if you let it, but I also think that it is a great way to keep up with friends and family. I wouldn't have any idea how to find many of the friends and family that I have found on Facebook or by watching their blog. Just like many things it's a miracle in moderation.
I totally agree that giving up internet for a week isn't as effective as coming up with better habits. I try not to use the computer when Jack is around (but I'm far from perfect). Steve and I heard something on NPR about having a plan for your internet time and then getting off. No coming up with extra websites.
are you still turned off????
I can't find you on facebook??? I looked for what felt like forever, so you'll have to look me up!! I love your insight, and thoughts!
Post a Comment