Confession: I used to make myself eat all the banana Runts in the package before I ate the rest. I don't like them at ALL - they are nasty and hard as rocks, not wonderfully crunchy and sweet like the rest of the flavors. But out of duty and obligation to the yucky little things, I ate them. Then one day I realized that was insanity (and probably a symptom of something seriously wrong with me!) and I started throwing them away. What a relief!And you know what else? I'm trying really hard not to make myself wear clothes because I feel sorry for them. You know - those shirts that you're really tired of, but haven't rotated through lately. They hang in my closet and nag at me for their rightful turn, holding grudges for being passed over so many times. I've realized that I might as well wear what I love at the moment because that's going to change anyway. (And it helps to remind myself now and then that clothes don't really have feelings.)
I put Grace in all my favorites now, too - who cares if she wears the same things every week?! She's going to outgrow them too soon for me to carefully monitor equal rights for baby clothes. It's so liberating! Same thing for Carver - he doesn't outgrow them as fast anymore, he mostly ruins them. Might as well enjoy that shirt while it lasts instead of saving it for another day! And the older girls, well - they do this on their own. They don't need my help only wearing the same things OVER and OVER again. That seems to come naturally to them. :) Whew! At least someone's normal around here.
15 comments:
Blech, banana runts are the grossest! For the record I used to feel really bad for any of the cereal that got left in the bottom of the box, unused, AND ALL of my stuffed animals had to be under the covers at night (i had quite a collection) otherwise the ones left out would feel bad. I'm mentally stressed just remembering it. So glad we have our kids to remind us to seize the day and WHO CARES what other people think!
Now please excuse me while I go get rid of about 30 unused, disliked shirts. I feel free-er already!
You're so cute, Rachael! Way to recognize your feelings and make adjustments accordingly!
Umm, did you make those adorable little birdie canvases on your sidebar? They are so adorable! I want a closer look at them but they don't blow up when I click on them. Tell me all about those cute little things!
I'm laughing at the Runts dilemma even now. I too would throw them away...or just...leave them for someone else to enjoy when they grabbed a handful and only had the banana ones left! Rachael...you're a pure joy. I truly enjoy reading your posts! I can totally relate to the clothes thing too.
lol~ you had me laughing your whole post. I do the same things.
i love the banana runts....save them for me.... :)
Thats funny....banana runts are my favorite...and just last week I was so excited...I was at the mall and they had a machine with JUST banana runts and I was so excited!
I have to admit that the banana runts are my favorite. So you can save them for me. But really when it comes to runts the chewy runts are the way to go. I regularly have unfulfilled cravings for chewy runts. Yummmmm! I'm having a craving right now.
i HATE banana runts!
That really was funny. I used to hate the banana ones too but they've grown on me after years of forcing myself to eat mine and everyone else's. I have a complex about throwing food away. But the best ever are the new pineapple runts. And I do the same thing with my clothes, and usually regret it later in the day and swear not to do it again, like you said, life's too short to wear clothes that don't make you feel good when there are others right there in the closet that you love.
it never would have occurred to me to rotate through clothes I don't like or eat the bananas. I always gave them away or traded them for the good stuff (the strawberries). I just pick a fav outfit and wear it until it's ruined.
I don't think I've worried about clothes feeling left out, but I have felt that way about cars when we got a new one. There have only been a couple that I was glad to see go (and even then I felt guilty about it). :) No normalacy here!
you are the funniest girl!! i love how you get everything so right on. sometimes it is fun to put yourself first once in a while... especially when it is regarding runts and clothes!
Love the post, Rachael! I can totally relate to this:) I had to laugh out loud. It's nice sometimes to let those stresses out of our lives!! :) Sometimes it takes a while for it to dawn on me that I can actually make a change...like why do I get frustrated at some cheap toy and then continually find a place for it among the other toys?! I am always surprised when I realize that I can throw it away!! :)
Seriously, I laughed so hard when I read this post. You are really a good writer. English was your major, right? And did you minor in Spanish? I was just wondering because of Derek's post in Espanol.
I thought it was so funny how you said you don't want to wear your clothes just cause you feel sorry for them. You hit the nail on the head...that's totally me, too. Why do we do these things?
Fun post.
Post a Comment